Friday, April 18, 2008

How to take care of your banana bread.


This was a cute thing that happened this morning that involves my wonderful husband, Tod.....  I made banana bread last night and it was a creation almost all my own.  I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled it out of the oven, since it was a beautiful golden brown and cooked to perfection all the way through.  (Basically it wasn't a dried out brick)Sometimes when I wing it, my creations end up being trashed.  Well Tod absolutely loved the bread, he actually exclaimed this morning that this was "my best creation banana bread yet, the best banana bread he ever had in his whole life!"  Wow, I felt so special and my cooking confidence just went up 10 points!  So I decided I should try my own little wonder, and I personally love the end piece.  Since Tod had already cut that off the one side- I went for the other side.  Within minutes I was reprimanded for doing this awful deed.  I mean how could I cut from the other side, didn't I know that it would "dry the whole loaf out now!"  I personally don't think this will happen, but Tod is convinced I ruined it!  I guess we will see later today if it will dry out- or maybe by tomorrow if the bread lasts even that long.  If I know my family it will be gobbled up before that happens, so I'm not worried.  I just thought it was funny that "How dare I cut from the other side of the loaf"  I guess I should have known better.  :)

Steph's Banana Bread Recipe:
2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 tbsp agave nectar
2-3 tbsp honey
1/2 c organic sugar
1/2 c applesauce
2-3 mushy bananas (the older the better)
1/2 cup organic yogurt (soy yogurt is best)
1-2 tbsp water (if the batter seems a little too dry add as needed)
1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup Walnuts (optional, but we like them)

Combine dry ingredients with a wisk and set aside
Combine first 4 wet ingredients until blended, add bananas yogurt, and vanilla and blend very well until almost smooth
Add dry ingredients just until all are moist (don't over blend)  Add water if it seems too dry.
Put batter into a greased loaf pan 
Add walnuts to top of batter in pan and push them in a little with spatula
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 350 degrees until toothpick come out clean

Enjoy with your family or friends for an easy breakfast or snack!