Thursday, June 17, 2010

Get Ready Because Here They Come!

A day or three off from work......  Just in time and Thank Goodness!



Just in time for me to make sure and show my family how much I adore them.  The summer buzz is just on the horizon for our Northwestern Michigan communities and businesses.  This is the time of year for us to be our most excellent and practice extreme hospitality.  To shine and share all the beauty that makes our piece of terrain here so special.  We have trimmed our hedges, raked the beaches, and started to harvest the first fruits of our labor in the gardens and berry patches.  The expectant masses are on their way, to taste and experience and create postcard memories that will be their reminder to return again and again.

Are you ready?

 I have been practicing for these moments my whole life.  My rehearsals have consisted of many different mediums, yet each experience is vital to my ability to be successful in meeting the expectations awaiting my attention.


"Togetherness" -seems to be a very important thing lately- though I don't know when it ever wasn't really important.  I am always looking forward to the people of my life.  Of course the original crew like my family and forever friends, my time with them is priceless.   The new releases have been amazing too- like those people who I have just met, my newest friends- You are all great!



Additionally I am gathering some lovely acquaintances on a daily morning basis when I work at the Inn at Blackstar.  The guests that attend breakfast are some of the most lovely people I have ever met.  They are always so gracious and kind- truly thankful for the work that the entire staff performs to meet their highest expectations.  I have received hugs and enormous compliments for some of my breakfast creations recently.  Sometimes I don't know what to say, especially when someone tells me it was "the best breakfast of their entire life" and then takes my picture to complete the memory.  Another guest told me recently that up until this particular breakfast he "hated quiche."  That was until he ate the one I prepared, he totally subscribed to the clean plate club!  Yay!

Of course it isn't always a home run with everyone, but that is OK.  I've had a few guests who just don't want what we are serving, but that is really a rare occasion.  I know I still have a lot to learn and thankfully I have some wonderful teachers to guide me through it all.  Everyone I work with is so supportive and perceptive.  I am also spending some time practicing at home.  It kind of feels nerdy sometimes, but I think that if I am going to be the best that I need the practice.  Even though the guest list changes just about on a daily basis, I can't make the same entree every day.  I have a few plates I am comfortable with now, but I want to do more.  I want to push the standards and really wow people!


This coming weekend involves some different events for us too.  These are always fun because it involves a totally different set-up and skills inventory.  I am super impressed with the menus that the Chef puts together.  They are really superior in all the important components- and I think that anyone who books an event at The Inn will not be disappointed.  I learn so much with these events, its an overall  amazing experience!


I have three social events outside of work in the next three days-  Every night we'll be out on the town- wining and dining and spending time with our favorite family and friends.  Hopefully meeting new friends too!


Sweeter Song CSA deliveries start this week, actually tomorrow!  



The gardens at our own Stellar View Farm are in full bloom, and the chicks and ducklings are growing fast!  Farm Markets are open and strawberries beckon us to their fields to be picked.





This is how it is for those of us who embrace the social effects of the summer sunshine.  I have been looking forward to this time all year long- Its finally here!